Answer by Alex Sumner:
- Lead a healthy and vigorous sex life – full of Love, and free from any negative emotions such as guilt, etc. Seriously, there are scientific studies which show a positive correlation between having good sex and having a good night’s sleep immediately afterwards.
- Meditate before going to bed. Mentally review the events of the day like a movie going backwards before your mind’s eye, going back as far as you can go. This has the result of “releasing” memories of the day just gone so they don’t need to be processed by your dreaming mind. Adepts of the tantric arts could do this meditation whilst carrying out the preceding step.
- Observe regular sleep patterns – not just the right amount of sleep (i.e. 8 hours for young/middle-aged adults) but following the body’s natural circadian rhythms as well.
- Do not go to bed drunk or high on drugs.
- Do not eat foods which are hard to digest soon before going to bed. If you do have an evening meal, try to eat it early enough that it fully digested before you attempt to retire. The old saying about eating cheese before going to bed is a superstition: what matters is whether or not your digestive system will disturb you during the night.
- Undergo regular psychotherapy or similar, so that your sleeping mind is not plagued by old neuroses.
- Live in Peace with all beings. More especially, do not get into conflict with others, and try to resolve the arguments that you gotten into peacefully. Not only will you get a good night’s sleep, you will also help make the World a better place.