For a beginner, I would recommend “The Alchemist’s Handbook” by Frater Albertus. Although the spagyric work it describes is only introductory, it does do a good job of acquainting the student with the basic terminology.
After one has read these, one is then ready to move on to the more advance stuff such as:
- The Golden Chain of Homer (Anton Kirchweger);
- The Triumphal Chariot of Antimony (Basil Valentine);
- The Aurora of the Philosophers (Paracelsus);
- Splendor Solis (Salomon Trismosin);
– all of which I would also recommend.